Skip to main content

On the Way to Dupree: Murdo, South Dakota

 

As we leave home, I have this habit of saying good-bye to the mountains that we see every day. It's a good ritual, reminding me that I will be back, that it's never forever, and that I do love where I live.

That said, nearly the moment we actually left the house, I fell asleep. John was driving, of course, and as those of you who know me well from this blog, I had a ton of things leading up to the moment of leaving, including, of course, all the preparation, the packing, and all the things that we had to finish before we could leave.

I have also been wrestling with nearly six months of having my hands and forearms hurt at night, whether I played games or not. Even when we were out on trips for a week or more, my hands and arms continued to ache at night. And some part of me took that as a sign that I was going to have to cut back yet again on the things that I did and I'd had enough of that. I was down to just about two hours a day of play, and having to watch computer usage, painting, calligraphy, and knitting. I don't knit much anymore, either. 

So I happened on the 1HP channel on YouTube and they gave me hope, but after the first week, I was in a lot MORE pain. It's something they say should be expected, but it's hard to sleep when I'm in pain. The interesting thing, though, is that my strength and flexibility of my wrists and hands is demonstrably better than I started... still, I was up half the night with worry, so John let me sleep for the first two hours on the road. Then, because it was freeway, he asked if I wanted to drive, so I did.

And it really didn't hurt. 

Most of our path was Interstate 76, then 80, and then north on state route 83. Through bumpy Nebraska and then Montana like rolling hills landscapes and then up in the old glacial fields that are flat as anything.

A large chunk of today's drive was through sand substrate plains, i.e. the "earth" under the top soil was all sand. Another big chunk of it was through the Valentine National Wildlife Refuge, which was utterly gorgeous.

Lunch was half a six inch Italian sub, and we stopped at one scenic stop that ended up being in a valley that was well below the beautiful vistas we'd been driving through, so we kept going. The whole album of photos can be found here, if you want to just see them. 

Quite a lot of the road paralleled an old highway, where a lot of the ranches entered or exited, and then went on accessor channels between the old and new road to get to the new two lane highway.

There were signs of this old road the whole way up, and it made me wonder at the sheer wealth of land that allowed the building of a whole new road bed AND allowed the remains of the old one to just stay. 

You can see the sand peeking out along the side of the road, by the grass on the right. 

It was a good day, all in all, as the driving didn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it was going to, and the new keyboard that Jet and I bought months ago so I could blog worked as soon as I brought it out to match with the laptop, but it wasn't completely charged. 

We ended in Murdo, according to John's plan at a "Love Hotel", which actually is a small owners' chain of independent hotels. It's quite nice, well-appointed, clean, and upgraded in the ways that make a difference when one is just staying for a single night. 

Dinner was at the Buffalo Bar and Restaurant, which lay at the very end of town. It was a great half mile walk from the hotel and by that point we needed the walk. Dinner itself was really good, the place has a very simple diner menu, with daily specials, and tonight's was chicken fried steak, which is one of my favorites. John got the buffalo burger, and my steak turned out perfectly crisp and crunchy on all the edges with a tasty milk and pepper gravy and perfectly solid mashed potatoes.  As we went out the door we got to see that lovely streaked cloud and sunset sky.

On the way back we wandered about the grocery store and then heard a huge flock of birds in a group of pine trees. We crossed the highway just to stand there and listen to the birds. I think there might be a couple of videos of them in the album

Then we headed back to the room and I got to use my new keyboard and write this entry in a way I haven't done on the road for a very very long time. And these really do make the difference. I have a really weird arm structure, where the optimal position for my keyboard is actually in my lap, and the shoulder width spread that's easy with this Corne keyboard makes it super comfortable to use. 

It feels good to write again. Hopefully, with the endurance training, and a multitude of methods for getting tight tendons and muscles to release a load they've assumed for decades, I'll be able to write more.

In the meantime, I hope you're well, and tomorrow we'll get to see a statue John's wanted to see for a while, and then we'll get to Dupree and the whole of the Crew that is appearing from our past adventures in Biloxi and Puerto Rico.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Povitica, Traditional and My Take

Strawberry Hill makes povitica for the Kansas City Ukranian and Croatian and Eastern European people in the Midwest. They do an amazing job of it and were highly recommended by John's father's cousins. So we bought an apple cinnamon one and an English walnut one to see what they were really like. We ate the apple cinnamon one, first, and that's what I started my experiments to reproduce. I started with Joy Food Sunshine's Homemade Povitica Bread Recipe , but it was far too light and airy and bread-like for me. It's a very nice loaf of sweet bread with a very light swirl of nuts for flavor and scent. It's a nice thing, but entirely unlike the Strawberry Hill loaf, which was super dense and the swirl of flavors dominated the almost chewy wrapper around the filling. It also had very little cinnamon, something I really missed as the Strawberry Hill apple povitica had a wealth of cinnamon richness. Also in talking to the Arkansas cousins, living in the American Sout

Gumbo Z'Herbes

I'm writing this because my son needs this particular version of Gumbo Z'Herbes as I actually do it. It was based off a recipe in Epicurious that then went to Chow that then went to Chowhound, that then... anyway... I don't know the exact origins anymore, and I've changed it substantially from them.  Ingredients 3  lb  greens (two bags of Costco Super Greens is great for this) 2/3  c  vegetable oil 2/3  c  all-purpose flour 1   yellow onion chopped 1  bunch  scallion chopped 1   green pepper chopped 4   celery ribs chopped 2  cloves  garlic minced 2  t  kosher salt 2  T  Cajun seasoning (preferably Lucille's) 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth if you're not going vegan or water 2  whole  cloves 2  whole  bay leaves 3 whole allspice 1  T fresh herb (I never have marjoram, so it's been cilantro usually or parsley)  Gumbo Z'herbes Directions Have a big bowl of ice water to the side. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add 1/2 tsp salt to the water, then d

Sourdough Bread Recipe and Techniques

Ingredients Leaven 50 grams whole wheat flour 50 grams bread flour 100 grams water 20 grams starter Dough 375 grams warm (90-110 degrees Fahrenheit) water 165 grams Leaven 375 grams bread flour 125 grams whole wheat flour (finer ground, commercial/generic whole wheat) 10 grams salt Technique Mix all the leaven ingredients together. I use a quart sized translucent plastic container from take-out soup because I like to see the level of the dough inside. I put a thin rubber band around the girth of it at the starting level, and place it in a warm spot and let it grow until it doubles in height. It can take anywhere from three to eight hours, so sometimes I use a dehydrator set to 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit to speed the process.  When it's doubled, I take 165 grams of the leaven and mix it into the warm water for the dough (it SHOULD float if you let the leaven rise long enough). I put the rest back into the refrigerator for next time. I actually work it into the water, "dissolving&