Skip to main content

A Full Day of Work

The interesting problem of blogging about construction work is that I rarely have the time to take pictures of what I'm doing. So it's rarely a complete look at what I actually got up to. In this case, however, John was kind enough to take a break and actually shoot some photos. I also shot some photos yesterday of the site just as it looked when we got there, so that I'd have something to compare against at the end to really figure out how much progress we'd made. 

 A single day.

One of the beauties of this particular service work is that the YMCA feeds us. They provide the food and the kitchen for breakfast, and Frank, the cook for the whole of the YMCA of the Seven Council Fires, cooks for us for lunch and dinner. This is the man who, through COVID, fed thousands a day in the same tiny kitchen he uses to feed all the local kids takeaway dinners and then feed all third odd of us.

Frank is a fantastic man, moving back here because of family, although he'd qualified as a high end chef through culinary school and hard practice in the heat of commercial kitchens, last spring he'd made us this Linzer Torte to die for, and he always does his best for us with the budget and provisions he's given.

So breakfast was scrambled eggs and bacon with whatever toast we made ourselves and plenty of boxed cereal, milks, and coffee by the urn.

With thirty some odd people, there was a lot of milling about when we started this morning, especially with about a third of the folks without any build experience. But after breakfast they had split folks up into groups to do particular work, but then John had to go do a run for materials, and so our group kind of got derailed until David, John's brother, got us going pretty well. Phil and Sue were with me, and our main job was getting these black frames around windows and art boards that were going to contain murals by local artists.

There was one group doing plumbing, one prepping to lift the roof on house Four by Friday. Another group was running about finishing framing and adjusting the framing for the plumber (the trick with walls that are insulated without studs is that all the plumbing has to run inside the rooms that the walls make instead of in the walls. This also helps keeps heat from leaking through conduction through those pipes or the studs). They were building boxes to hide the plumbing

The great thing about having all four houses up was that everyone could be doing different things on all of them, so there wasn't any lack of possibilities for jobs.

With David's help, I started measuring and cutting framing boards, and using the drills to get them screwed into the concrete siding. Using old drywall skills to set the screw heads just under the surface so that the surface could be smoothed over with caulk or some other putty and make for a perfectly smooth face, eventually.

I got to use the miter saw, and it was a very nice thing for making completely square cuts.

We got the framing up pretty quickly, and that was really satisfying, but then David, John, and I talked through the fact that the tops of the frames had to be caulked, and the frames had to be caulked around the windows.

Last spring, I'd caulked and cut such a fine tip that the big gaps around some of the battens had been really difficult to fill completely, so this time I cut it significantly bigger. The problem was that we'd cut the boards exactly to fit, so there was actually very little gap with most of the boards.

So I ended up spending nearly three times the time it would have taken me if I'd cut the tip smaller. I'd just have to always spend the time to clean up all the extra caulk. Well, not always.

There were a few gaps that were extra large, and which the large tip worked beautifully to fill completely and seal as it was supposed to seal. THAT made the rest of it worth it as those bits take forever with a very fine tip. So it's all a tradeoff. As someone at dinner said, I really needed to have at least two tips, maybe three, that I could trade between as I needed for the job I was doing.

There had been an interior job I'd done, once, where I'd actually cut two tips, one wide, one fine, for finishing work, and it had been really good. Still, it was enough to just cut one tube today. We'd gotten all the framing done by lunch time, and I mostly did caulking all afternoon. My grip strength is going to be phenomenal if this keeps going as it has been. 

Dinner was a lovely grilled/baked chicken with brown rice, ratatouille, and the usual lovely mixed green salad (I always miss salads the most when I'm traveling, but Frank takes good care of us) with a whole board of dressings, then the three Brothers Rostykus (My John, his older brother Walt, and yet older brother David) all took the whole group on a walk about of the town. We headed up the street the Y is on to the High School, took a right, and then turned back at main street and then turned again at the Lakota Market. Lou, who was the leader of the folks who decided to do a national service project for the YMCA alumni cheerfully filled in a lot of information about the project while the brothers told what they knew about all we walked by.

I stopped there for some TopoChico, and a little black cat, which had followed us for much of the town tour, trying to trip whomever was in front of the group, marched right into the market! One lady in our crew kept saying, "The cat went into the market! The cat went into the supermarket!" A woman in there grabbed the cat by the scruff of the neck, and I went in and took it from her back out to our crew. A lady who had been a champ at keeping the tool shed completely organized all day, took the kitten from me.

Lysa, from our Bilioxi and Puerto Rico days stayed with me at the store so that I could get my fancy water. That was very nice of her, and after we bought it, we walked back the way to the Y, and found that the group hadn't gone that quickly away from us. We caught up pretty quickly and enjoyed the full moon on the way back to the dorms.

John and Amy (also of the Puerto Rico trips) were in the apartment's common area, and they then headed to the firepit while I showered, and I think they have a plan to see the Northern Lights tonight, as they're supposed to be visible even with the Super Moon out. I decided to just sit here in the room and type this up while I could. My right arm and grip are pretty sore... and the typing doesn't quite hurt as much as I thought it would, but I also have an ice pack, and plenty of ibuprofen for tonight. I'll hope I won't need all of it. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Povitica, Traditional and My Take

Strawberry Hill makes povitica for the Kansas City Ukranian and Croatian and Eastern European people in the Midwest. They do an amazing job of it and were highly recommended by John's father's cousins. So we bought an apple cinnamon one and an English walnut one to see what they were really like. We ate the apple cinnamon one, first, and that's what I started my experiments to reproduce. I started with Joy Food Sunshine's Homemade Povitica Bread Recipe , but it was far too light and airy and bread-like for me. It's a very nice loaf of sweet bread with a very light swirl of nuts for flavor and scent. It's a nice thing, but entirely unlike the Strawberry Hill loaf, which was super dense and the swirl of flavors dominated the almost chewy wrapper around the filling. It also had very little cinnamon, something I really missed as the Strawberry Hill apple povitica had a wealth of cinnamon richness. Also in talking to the Arkansas cousins, living in the American Sout

Gumbo Z'Herbes

I'm writing this because my son needs this particular version of Gumbo Z'Herbes as I actually do it. It was based off a recipe in Epicurious that then went to Chow that then went to Chowhound, that then... anyway... I don't know the exact origins anymore, and I've changed it substantially from them.  Ingredients 3  lb  greens (two bags of Costco Super Greens is great for this) 2/3  c  vegetable oil 2/3  c  all-purpose flour 1   yellow onion chopped 1  bunch  scallion chopped 1   green pepper chopped 4   celery ribs chopped 2  cloves  garlic minced 2  t  kosher salt 2  T  Cajun seasoning (preferably Lucille's) 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth if you're not going vegan or water 2  whole  cloves 2  whole  bay leaves 3 whole allspice 1  T fresh herb (I never have marjoram, so it's been cilantro usually or parsley)  Gumbo Z'herbes Directions Have a big bowl of ice water to the side. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add 1/2 tsp salt to the water, then d

Sourdough Bread Recipe and Techniques

Ingredients Leaven 50 grams whole wheat flour 50 grams bread flour 100 grams water 20 grams starter Dough 375 grams warm (90-110 degrees Fahrenheit) water 165 grams Leaven 375 grams bread flour 125 grams whole wheat flour (finer ground, commercial/generic whole wheat) 10 grams salt Technique Mix all the leaven ingredients together. I use a quart sized translucent plastic container from take-out soup because I like to see the level of the dough inside. I put a thin rubber band around the girth of it at the starting level, and place it in a warm spot and let it grow until it doubles in height. It can take anywhere from three to eight hours, so sometimes I use a dehydrator set to 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit to speed the process.  When it's doubled, I take 165 grams of the leaven and mix it into the warm water for the dough (it SHOULD float if you let the leaven rise long enough). I put the rest back into the refrigerator for next time. I actually work it into the water, "dissolving&