Skip to main content

Caulking, Battens, and Ohani

I spent most of the morning caulking.

I'm not entirely sure how to convey the depth of history that goes underneath that statement. Let's start with the fact that in a great many volunteer construction projects, that caulking is usually given to the girl with the least experience who just says okay when someone, usually male, asks her to please do the caulking. It's oddly considered by many volunteers as "make work". It's something that's not nearly as fun or fulfilling as using power tools, putting up a wall, building actual framing for rooms, or nearly anything. It's the low man on the totem pole work.  And not a lot of people jump up to do it.

Then, in Biloxi, while we were trying to reconstruct an electrician's house while he volunteered, in kind, I got into Gabriel's finishing crew. Gabriel's dad was a building inspector, and, for a few years, Gabriel had done professional finishing work, and the most laborious part of it was putting in all the door frames, and all the boards at the very bottom of all your walls, and getting the caulk in that top gap and painting that edging, and you wanted to do it perfect the first time to save yourself the hassle of going back and fixing it.

So in one week, I did nothing but caulk. I learned how to cut the exact point needed, had fingers that were constantly wrinkled from the wet cloths I was using to keep everything perfectly smooth. And with the two other ladies I was working with, we'd figured out the exact timing for getting the tape down, everything done, and the tape back up after the caulk had mostly set and before the paint had had a chance to dry.

It was exacting work. Perfectionist's work.

And whenever I pick up a caulking gun, I pick my perfectionism back up and away we go.

And this morning, I filled in all kinds of holes. I matched the grain on the faux wood grain on the plastic frames around the windows and murals. I matched the texture on the walls. I wiped up every last speck of caulk from the places that it shouldn't be, and I lived with my too large tip, which actually did a great job of filling in and smoothing over the holes from the too-large screw heads we'd put into some of the framing around the doors and windows and since they were going to see those all the time, it was a good idea to fill them in before the last coat of paint, so they'd just disappear.

I was mildly mad that I was having to do it, but then I realized that if I didn't do it, someone else who didn't have all my experience would cheerfully "try" and then I'd be so sad. Everyone else was digging postholes for the porches, doing more plumbing, getting stuff fixed and putting up battens on the Hardie board, and doing yet more for the roof. All great progress!

And then three different people, George, who is in charge of everything, David, and I think maybe Lou? Or someone who wasn't related to the folks I knew, all came up and complimented me on the work. George said that he's seen the divots left on one of the walls by a previous crew and he'd been thinking that those needed fixing, but hadn't gotten around to organizing it or even verbalizing it and he was so grateful that I was just doing it.

That was really nice.

And when it all got as done as I could do it, I put it all down, had some lunch and then spent the afternoon doing battens over the Hardie board with John and Sue. Sue had done some handiwork and was raring to go, so I let her do all the high stuff she actually wanted to do. I just ran stuff back and forth and made sure things were measured or held in place or whatever John said needed to get done. That was fun, as it was pretty methodical work. The battens were strips cut from concrete, i.e. Hardie board, that were then screwed over all the seams in the siding (which was also Hardie board). This was to protect the house and seal all the seams and so it would all look good. The shadows on the wall created by the battens in the evening were just beautiful. The house on the left in the picture is a great example of how they just make the whole thing look better.

By the end of the afternoon, Sue was getting tired, and we added Karina, who liked to do all the cutting, so we ended up with a crew of four, getting them up. I ended up doing a lot of high work, as I could really get my weight behind the driver to get the screws into the top. It takes practice and some real confidence that the ladder is super stable when set up correctly. That's not a thing that's learned easily.

We had a two ladder system for the really long battens, as well, and John would do a lot of the top stuff, I'd do the middle stuff, and then we'd move it all and do it again, as we were putting them on about every 9 and 1/2 inches. That was a lot of good work.

I was having to pay a lot of attention to my right leg and how I was positioning it as I hadn't done a good job of that yesterday, and it had hurt quite a lot. I did better today. My right forearm was really aware that I'd done a LOT of squeezing with it, and it was funny to realize that I could tell that it was muscle pain and not tendon issues. That was a really good step in the right direction, but I'm probably going to ice tonight.

After dinner, though, we got a treat, which was a visit from Ohani, who has visited with us in the spring. She's a 23 year old Lakota woman, who was the Miss Cheyenne River Sioux Reservation from 2019 through 2022, and whom we'd met when she wasn't too sure what she was going to do next other than she really wanted to keep spreading her love for the Lakota traditions. 


Now she's a teacher of Lakota, the advanced classes, at the local school here. She's so happy and so much more assured, and she's also singing with a big traveling Powwow, and here she was happy to show us some of her skills. Lovely lady and I wish her every good thing going forward. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Povitica, Traditional and My Take

Strawberry Hill makes povitica for the Kansas City Ukranian and Croatian and Eastern European people in the Midwest. They do an amazing job of it and were highly recommended by John's father's cousins. So we bought an apple cinnamon one and an English walnut one to see what they were really like. We ate the apple cinnamon one, first, and that's what I started my experiments to reproduce. I started with Joy Food Sunshine's Homemade Povitica Bread Recipe , but it was far too light and airy and bread-like for me. It's a very nice loaf of sweet bread with a very light swirl of nuts for flavor and scent. It's a nice thing, but entirely unlike the Strawberry Hill loaf, which was super dense and the swirl of flavors dominated the almost chewy wrapper around the filling. It also had very little cinnamon, something I really missed as the Strawberry Hill apple povitica had a wealth of cinnamon richness. Also in talking to the Arkansas cousins, living in the American Sout

Gumbo Z'Herbes

I'm writing this because my son needs this particular version of Gumbo Z'Herbes as I actually do it. It was based off a recipe in Epicurious that then went to Chow that then went to Chowhound, that then... anyway... I don't know the exact origins anymore, and I've changed it substantially from them.  Ingredients 3  lb  greens (two bags of Costco Super Greens is great for this) 2/3  c  vegetable oil 2/3  c  all-purpose flour 1   yellow onion chopped 1  bunch  scallion chopped 1   green pepper chopped 4   celery ribs chopped 2  cloves  garlic minced 2  t  kosher salt 2  T  Cajun seasoning (preferably Lucille's) 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth if you're not going vegan or water 2  whole  cloves 2  whole  bay leaves 3 whole allspice 1  T fresh herb (I never have marjoram, so it's been cilantro usually or parsley)  Gumbo Z'herbes Directions Have a big bowl of ice water to the side. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add 1/2 tsp salt to the water, then d

Sourdough Bread Recipe and Techniques

Ingredients Leaven 50 grams whole wheat flour 50 grams bread flour 100 grams water 20 grams starter Dough 375 grams warm (90-110 degrees Fahrenheit) water 165 grams Leaven 375 grams bread flour 125 grams whole wheat flour (finer ground, commercial/generic whole wheat) 10 grams salt Technique Mix all the leaven ingredients together. I use a quart sized translucent plastic container from take-out soup because I like to see the level of the dough inside. I put a thin rubber band around the girth of it at the starting level, and place it in a warm spot and let it grow until it doubles in height. It can take anywhere from three to eight hours, so sometimes I use a dehydrator set to 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit to speed the process.  When it's doubled, I take 165 grams of the leaven and mix it into the warm water for the dough (it SHOULD float if you let the leaven rise long enough). I put the rest back into the refrigerator for next time. I actually work it into the water, "dissolving&