Skip to main content

It's Been a While

It's been a while since I've written anything, really... 

I've been gaming instead, and letting that use my hands and mind up enough that I didn't really think about it. There's something that I love about being able to turn my mind off in the middle of a game.  Just exist and do for a while and not have to feel or think. And, even then, I find that I have to create things, so I've been making my YouTube channel work. 

But I really miss my accounts of all my travels. We've been traveling a lot lately. 

Via my Obsidian notes on my packing lists, we hit eight different cities last year, and this year we've already been to nine with at least two more bigger trips before the end of the year, and possibly another, depending on how schedules go.

And I only have pictures in Google and some photo collections on Facebook to remember what it was like. And I'm pretty sure I hate that. I also hate NOT having an account of my real life again with all the bumps and problems along with all the other things, and to hell with the fact that everything I publish here and else where is public to the world... 

An interesting by-product of it all is that I'm super used to my MX Cherry Silver speed keys on my gaming keyboard, and my old Kinesis has a longer actuation length and a 5 gram higher actuation weight, so it feels like I have to work a LOT harder with my old split keyboard than I do with my new 75% one. Jet's working on printing a new split keyboard for himself, a minimalist one called the Urchin, and looking at it, I think it would drive me crazy, but I also haven't just written for a very very long time. 

And there are new low profile key switches that are even lower weight and lower actuation distance than the MX Cherry Silvers... and part of my mind really would like those, as my fingers/hands ache a lot more now than they used to when I use them. So I'm contemplating this Iris keyboard with just a few more keys, someone that's willing to do the soldering (I'm waaaay past finding it fun and interesting to solder every joint), and just buying the key switches I want and the keycaps I want or having Jet 3D print them for me in all the colors I could desire. Or maybe this one that can take MX switches, as I'm so used to my silver ones. It would pack easily for travel, would be easy to set up to work with our tablet, and with Google's Photos to keep all my photos for easy and quick linking in Blogger, it would be far easier now for me to blog about our trip than before.

There's a lot of emotional freight that goes with some of these trips.

I miss having those to come back to, especially the trips to South Dakota, as a continuance of all the building, rebuilding, and construction trips of the past. 

So... I'll state an intent to write again. We'll see how long it lives. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Povitica, Traditional and My Take

Strawberry Hill makes povitica for the Kansas City Ukranian and Croatian and Eastern European people in the Midwest. They do an amazing job of it and were highly recommended by John's father's cousins. So we bought an apple cinnamon one and an English walnut one to see what they were really like. We ate the apple cinnamon one, first, and that's what I started my experiments to reproduce. I started with Joy Food Sunshine's Homemade Povitica Bread Recipe , but it was far too light and airy and bread-like for me. It's a very nice loaf of sweet bread with a very light swirl of nuts for flavor and scent. It's a nice thing, but entirely unlike the Strawberry Hill loaf, which was super dense and the swirl of flavors dominated the almost chewy wrapper around the filling. It also had very little cinnamon, something I really missed as the Strawberry Hill apple povitica had a wealth of cinnamon richness. Also in talking to the Arkansas cousins, living in the American Sout

Gumbo Z'Herbes

I'm writing this because my son needs this particular version of Gumbo Z'Herbes as I actually do it. It was based off a recipe in Epicurious that then went to Chow that then went to Chowhound, that then... anyway... I don't know the exact origins anymore, and I've changed it substantially from them.  Ingredients 3  lb  greens (two bags of Costco Super Greens is great for this) 2/3  c  vegetable oil 2/3  c  all-purpose flour 1   yellow onion chopped 1  bunch  scallion chopped 1   green pepper chopped 4   celery ribs chopped 2  cloves  garlic minced 2  t  kosher salt 2  T  Cajun seasoning (preferably Lucille's) 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth if you're not going vegan or water 2  whole  cloves 2  whole  bay leaves 3 whole allspice 1  T fresh herb (I never have marjoram, so it's been cilantro usually or parsley)  Gumbo Z'herbes Directions Have a big bowl of ice water to the side. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add 1/2 tsp salt to the water, then d

Sourdough Bread Recipe and Techniques

Ingredients Leaven 50 grams whole wheat flour 50 grams bread flour 100 grams water 20 grams starter Dough 375 grams warm (90-110 degrees Fahrenheit) water 165 grams Leaven 375 grams bread flour 125 grams whole wheat flour (finer ground, commercial/generic whole wheat) 10 grams salt Technique Mix all the leaven ingredients together. I use a quart sized translucent plastic container from take-out soup because I like to see the level of the dough inside. I put a thin rubber band around the girth of it at the starting level, and place it in a warm spot and let it grow until it doubles in height. It can take anywhere from three to eight hours, so sometimes I use a dehydrator set to 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit to speed the process.  When it's doubled, I take 165 grams of the leaven and mix it into the warm water for the dough (it SHOULD float if you let the leaven rise long enough). I put the rest back into the refrigerator for next time. I actually work it into the water, "dissolving&