Skip to main content

Of Introverts and Confidentiality

I'm on a search committee for our church and I basically can't talk about much about who we're talking with or some of what we're doing, but the basic idea is to find a pastor for our church and to present our church to pastors so that they can figure out if they'd like to serve us. And we can't talk about them, at all, because they might be working or doing things with their church and no one knows, yet, that they're looking, as that's just how it's done.

But while going through all the profile, someone was incredulous about the number of introverts there were as candidates, and I thought about it a lot.

You want an introvert because of the nature of confidentiality, you want someone who will think about every word they say and cannot slip about things that they shouldn't be talking about. Besides, introverts listen very very well; but the other searchers were right about the fact that pastors do have to deal with people, and lots of people on Sundays and it can burn them out badly if the congregation isn't careful and if the pastor doesn't know how to hold their boundaries, yet.

I'm an introvert, and it's been weird these last five years, honestly.

There have been so many things that I was told that I had to hold in confidentiality that I finally just stopped speaking, stopped writing here, and stopped being able to be candid about very much of anything. There was just too much at stake, too many people who could be hurt, and too many things that I just couldn't say a thing about.

I'd also had, even when I was working, a tendency to drop into books or deeply into video games when I was too stressed about what I was working on. It gave my conscious mind something else to concentrate on, something I knew that I'd eventually do well, and something that could occupy my whole head and get it out of the mire of complexity that had become my life. Games and books, if they were deep enough, would stop me from thinking too much about the things I could do nothing about. It was good cognitive therapy when I was getting too negative about myself or my environment.

One of the video games I played a lot when I was working has come back... Tomb Raider, the 2013 version, was on sale during the Winter Break sale on Steam, and I got it for a ridiculous $2.99, and it's amazing compared to the original. That should probably go without saying, but what I truly loved was that it captured the essence of the original game, in that the physical feats of insanity that were prevalent in the original are even more beautiful and more insane in this one. And with my Christmas XBox controllers it's so much like when I was playing PS2 and PS3 games that it's been a lot of fun.

So a lot of the stress I'd gotten while I was moderator has gone into my games and into my doing my best to kill opponents on a frequent basis in games. I'm still doing it, so, yes, to answer your question, I still have some stressors that have carried over. There is hope of resolutions for some of the last dangling bits, but, as usual, I can't say what they are or how that is going, but there may well be an end to the tunnel, and I'm glad of the work that Jet and I are doing with the search committee, to figure out who is going to go forward with us.

I don't actually know if that's going to get me out of video games or not, but we'll have to see if the resolutions really are a relief on the pressure that keeps me going Elsewhere instead of being present with my everyday life.

Some good everyday things were just going for a walk with John, being home to make dinner for everyone, and playing Overcooked with the boys and actually beating the final boss. It's funny that playing with the family feels like a very different thing than playing with the voices in my headset. Even when, sometimes, they're the same people. Jet is there for both, but they just feel really different than they usually do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Potsticker and Boiled Dumpling Recipe

There are two different everyday dumplings that we always used to make at home. One is the potsticker (gwo tiea) and the other is the boiled dumpling (jow tzs) (literally foot). They have a variety of innards and different wrapper dough to deal with their cooking environments. Dough Ingrediants Potsticker Dough 400 grams all purpose flour 210 grams boiling water 2 grams salt Boiled Dumpling Dough  400 grams all purpose flour 210 grams cold water 2 grams salt Dough Preparation - Is the same for both Put the flour and salt in a medium bowl, and, using a fork or chopsticks, gradually add the water. Pour out the pieces of dough and extra flour onto a clean counter and knead together. Place in a covered bowl and let rest for 20 minutes. Then take it out and knead it again until it's smooth and pliable, about 3-5 minutes, and then put in the covered bowl again to rest at least 20 minutes, but it can hold for a few hours. Filling 1 pound meat/protein. Usually ground pork, but ground turke

Povitica, Traditional and My Take

Strawberry Hill makes povitica for the Kansas City Ukranian and Croatian and Eastern European people in the Midwest. They do an amazing job of it and were highly recommended by John's father's cousins. So we bought an apple cinnamon one and an English walnut one to see what they were really like. We ate the apple cinnamon one, first, and that's what I started my experiments to reproduce. I started with Joy Food Sunshine's Homemade Povitica Bread Recipe , but it was far too light and airy and bread-like for me. It's a very nice loaf of sweet bread with a very light swirl of nuts for flavor and scent. It's a nice thing, but entirely unlike the Strawberry Hill loaf, which was super dense and the swirl of flavors dominated the almost chewy wrapper around the filling. It also had very little cinnamon, something I really missed as the Strawberry Hill apple povitica had a wealth of cinnamon richness. Also in talking to the Arkansas cousins, living in the American Sout

Gumbo Z'Herbes

I'm writing this because my son needs this particular version of Gumbo Z'Herbes as I actually do it. It was based off a recipe in Epicurious that then went to Chow that then went to Chowhound, that then... anyway... I don't know the exact origins anymore, and I've changed it substantially from them.  Ingredients 3  lb  greens (two bags of Costco Super Greens is great for this) 2/3  c  vegetable oil 2/3  c  all-purpose flour 1   yellow onion chopped 1  bunch  scallion chopped 1   green pepper chopped 4   celery ribs chopped 2  cloves  garlic minced 2  t  kosher salt 2  T  Cajun seasoning (preferably Lucille's) 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth if you're not going vegan or water 2  whole  cloves 2  whole  bay leaves 3 whole allspice 1  T fresh herb (I never have marjoram, so it's been cilantro usually or parsley)  Gumbo Z'herbes Directions Have a big bowl of ice water to the side. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add 1/2 tsp salt to the water, then d