Skip to main content

Finally, Replacing a Crown

I had a crown that had a hole in it and I was NOT looking forward to replacing it. At all. But I went into the dentist this morning and they took off the old crown. There was a small cavity underneath it, which they quickly removed. They built it all up again, and then took an impression of both the inside and the outside, and then made me a temporary crown and put it on.

It hurt doing it, for all the doctor did a great job of applying the novocaine, to the point where I couldn't feel my tongue or that side of my mouth; but now it hurts a lot less than I thought it would. They adjusted everything beautifully, and for all that they tore up my gums pretty good getting it in and clearing out all the old stuff, the tooth itself doesn't hurt as much as it used to or nearly as much as it did when the old, badly made crown was put in place. I suspect that the cavity was starting to affect it a little, and having it covered up well, now, makes it happier.

There were a lot of small things they did that really reassured me. Like the dentist checking my bite when he built up the stub, several times during the process, to make sure that the new crown wouldn't impact my upper teeth to the point where they'd have to put another hole into it to make my bite work.

The assistant took a second impression when the first one wasn't good enough for her. She didn't let it slide. Both the dentist and the assistant were utterly assured about what had to happen, when it had to happen and what had to be done in every instance. This wasn't true of the dentist that made the faulty crown. He kind of fumbled through it, so I was really subtly reassured on every level by how competent they were. It also didn't hurt that they charged me nearly 450 dollars less than their initial estimate, because the work they had to do wasn't quite as extensive as the worst case scenario.

That was a very nice surprise.

But the whole process was pretty traumatic in some ways, and I just made my way home and slept for a little, and then distracted myself with TF2 and some games as my mental processes weren't online for anything more extensive.

I usually start out badly, cold and unable to hit anything, and then I gradually get better, and then I usually have a hot streak where I do really well for a while. Today, I decided to just start out trying to aim on one of the various target maps. There's a new map called Airway, that's solely for target practice, and I spent some time there before hopping onto a payload where I got dominated right and left. But I ended up being on a couple of winning teams, and managed to both push the cart through bottlenecks and to stop the cart at one of the bottlenecks by being a demoman instead of my usual pyro/heavy/engie mixup.

I really do love the Scottish Resistance, the ability to set charges and blow them only when I aim at them is something I love. It takes more thinking to set up, but it throws so many sticky bombs, and they blow when I want them to, which I love.

Then I went onto a Harvest king of the hill map that I just loved. It was intensely fought, and the people on it were all trying so hard on both sides. I really do love king of the hill more than the others, and I still don't know why. But it was just a lot of fun, I just ran around as my pyro the whole time, and I ended up on the MVP list at the end of a game we won. That was good enough for me. *laughs* I should take a screenshot of my pyro with his bandana and Cremator's Conscience 'good' and 'bad' pyros on his chest. I thought I'd gotten one good run as a replay, but I'd hit the button too late and only got the next life, which was not nearly so spectacular.

I'm still learning how to do movies, both as replays of game play and in Source Filmmaker. There's a very nice set of tutorials on youtube for the free software, and it's been very enlightening. I've been working through them steadily, about one a day. I also found a gorgeous Japanese Temple map that was made by someone for fun, and it makes me think about the possibilities.

John came home and I was still numb, so I just made myself some soup and fried a few buns from last night. I'd made pork and vegetable bao last night, and the leftover yeast dough went into soft buns that are just wonderful fried crisp on each side. I had a little trouble eating them with my numb mouth, but it wasn't that painful, so I asked John to go ahead and make the dinner of steak, potatoes, and salad he was willing to make, and I ended up being able to eat a little of everything. So I'm recovering pretty well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Potsticker and Boiled Dumpling Recipe

There are two different everyday dumplings that we always used to make at home. One is the potsticker (gwo tiea) and the other is the boiled dumpling (jow tzs) (literally foot). They have a variety of innards and different wrapper dough to deal with their cooking environments. Dough Ingrediants Potsticker Dough 400 grams all purpose flour 210 grams boiling water 2 grams salt Boiled Dumpling Dough  400 grams all purpose flour 210 grams cold water 2 grams salt Dough Preparation - Is the same for both Put the flour and salt in a medium bowl, and, using a fork or chopsticks, gradually add the water. Pour out the pieces of dough and extra flour onto a clean counter and knead together. Place in a covered bowl and let rest for 20 minutes. Then take it out and knead it again until it's smooth and pliable, about 3-5 minutes, and then put in the covered bowl again to rest at least 20 minutes, but it can hold for a few hours. Filling 1 pound meat/protein. Usually ground pork, but ground turke

Povitica, Traditional and My Take

Strawberry Hill makes povitica for the Kansas City Ukranian and Croatian and Eastern European people in the Midwest. They do an amazing job of it and were highly recommended by John's father's cousins. So we bought an apple cinnamon one and an English walnut one to see what they were really like. We ate the apple cinnamon one, first, and that's what I started my experiments to reproduce. I started with Joy Food Sunshine's Homemade Povitica Bread Recipe , but it was far too light and airy and bread-like for me. It's a very nice loaf of sweet bread with a very light swirl of nuts for flavor and scent. It's a nice thing, but entirely unlike the Strawberry Hill loaf, which was super dense and the swirl of flavors dominated the almost chewy wrapper around the filling. It also had very little cinnamon, something I really missed as the Strawberry Hill apple povitica had a wealth of cinnamon richness. Also in talking to the Arkansas cousins, living in the American Sout

Gumbo Z'Herbes

I'm writing this because my son needs this particular version of Gumbo Z'Herbes as I actually do it. It was based off a recipe in Epicurious that then went to Chow that then went to Chowhound, that then... anyway... I don't know the exact origins anymore, and I've changed it substantially from them.  Ingredients 3  lb  greens (two bags of Costco Super Greens is great for this) 2/3  c  vegetable oil 2/3  c  all-purpose flour 1   yellow onion chopped 1  bunch  scallion chopped 1   green pepper chopped 4   celery ribs chopped 2  cloves  garlic minced 2  t  kosher salt 2  T  Cajun seasoning (preferably Lucille's) 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth if you're not going vegan or water 2  whole  cloves 2  whole  bay leaves 3 whole allspice 1  T fresh herb (I never have marjoram, so it's been cilantro usually or parsley)  Gumbo Z'herbes Directions Have a big bowl of ice water to the side. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add 1/2 tsp salt to the water, then d